Congratulations to all Varsity teams below for making it to state:
Barton County Special Services – Tina Steinert
Gardner Edgerton High School – Pam Gove
Haven High School – Vickie Galloway
Maize South High School – Jean Conkling
Nickerson High School – Vickie Galloway
Salina South High School – Sue Montoy
Salina Central High School – Shelby Dinkel
Smith Center High School – Joe Burgardt
Turner High School – Virginia Hammes
LifeSmarts offers Varsity (9-12) & Junior Varsity (6-8) Competitions!
Win a trip to Pittsburgh, PA! The 2017 Kansas Varsity LifeSmarts champions will receive funding to attend the National competition on April 21-24, 2017. FBLA & FCCLA have additional opportunities to get to Nationals so be sure to check it out. Junior Varsity does not have a national championship at this time.
COMPETITION CLOSING DATES (teams must complete online individual quizzes for a chance to advance to state):
-Varsity online competition is open November 1 to December 14, 2016.
-Junior Varsity online competition will open November 1st to February 25, 2017.
KANSAS CHAMPIONSHIP DATES:
-Varsity In-Person Competition – Tuesday, March 7, 2017
-Junior Varsity is scheduled for April 12, 2017 at Wichita State University, Rhatigan Student Center Ballroom
What is LifeSmarts®…the ultimate consumer challenge?
LifeSmarts® is a FREE educational opportunity that develops the consumer and marketplace knowledge and skills of students in grades 6-12. The content and competition questions focus on five areas:
- Personal Finance
- Health and Safety
- Technology and Telecommunications
- Consumer Rights and Responsibilities
In addition to the topic knowledge learned, teens develop teamwork and leadership abilities, self-esteem, verbal communication skills, and have fun in the process. This program, like the other programs sponsored by the KCEE, improves decision-making skills and helps prepare students for the challenges of adulthood.
The program complements almost any curriculum and can be used as an activity for classes, groups, clubs, and community organizations. It is used successfully by many FACS, Business, Gifted & Econ teachers. LifeSmarts®, run as a game-show style competition, is open to all teens in the USA in the 6th through the 12th grade. The Junior Varsity Program (grades 6-8) was added in 2007-2008. There will be an in-person state competition but not a national state competition. The Varsity Program (grades 9-12) has in-person state & national competitions.
FBLA and FCCLA groups have an additional opportunity for prizes and the ability to compete in separate competitions and win a trip to Nationals to represent their group. National FBLA and FCCLA will also have a LifeSmarts competition at the their respective summer conferences.
New(er) to LifeSmarts?
- View 7 tips for a winning LifeSmarts team at: http://lifesmarts.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/LifeSmarts-7-tips.pdf
- Join a free online training for new teachers? Check the events tab to see if there is one scheduled. If not, email email@example.com with a request for training.
- Watch a video describing how to setup your team and add and delete players. It is on youtube at https://youtu.be/SxfJAR41gaI.
- Student videos are also available to help your student get started and also a video on tips for making the most of LifeSmarts. These videos were created by a past LifeSmarts team member with several trips to National LifeSmarts under his belt. These videos are available on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/album/4209619.
LifeSmarts Recorded Trainings:
Visit www.lifesmarts.org for more information
View all photos from our state LifeSmarts events on our facebook page at www.facebook.com/kcee1959.